Pages

torstai 29. lokakuuta 2015

Horror Movie Recommendations for Halloween☆

Happy spoopy Halloween to everyone!

So instead of finally doing the ebay loot-post I've been postponing, I decided to do a Halloween post consisting of one of my favorite thing: horror movies! For a couple of years I've been watching horror movies probably more than any other type of movies, but I used to lose sleep if a movie was especially scary.. This was a huge pain in the ass, since I love horror movies but luckily now I'm over that! Nowadays I can watch as much, and as scary, horror movies as I want to! ψ(`∇´)ψ So in honor of Halloween (even though Halloween is pretty much non-existant here in Finland) I decided to do a collection post of some of my favorite horror movies, or of ones that left an impact on me! I wont be writing long descriptions of the movies, because I don't want to spoil anything. So let's get started! Oh and these aren't in any specific order!


!!If you're easily spooked by spooky pictures, I would recommend to stop reading!!
I really don't want to make people lose sleep, since I know how much that sucks-- even just pictures can scare me a lot, and I'm probably not the only one

----

Noroi (2005)
Noroi is a Japanese found footage horror film and probably my personal favorite from this list! It's incredibly interesting and scared the crap out of me....but in a cool way! I don't know I just love this movie and it has such an incredible atmosphere, even though the cgi in this movie is...well, interesting to say the least-- But it didn't bother me the least bit! It's also sort of an mockumentary (=fake documentary), but that aspect of it is not very visible most of the movie so I wouldn't count it as one. Anyway, I absolutely adore this movie and will recommend it to anyone who loves a good atmosphere and bone chilling movies! Oh I don't really want to write anything about the plot, since it's really hard to put it into couple of sentences, But it is a paranormal happening-kind of movie!
Personal scare rate (max 5): ☠☠☠☠

Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)
This is one of the most disturbing and uneasy-feeling movies I've ever seen! Might be, because a gif of that pictures scene was the first thing to ever make me lose sleep-- or it might be because it actually is pretty damn disturbing. Poughkeepsie Tapes is a straight up mocumentary about a fictional serial killer, whose "home videos" are found. The mockumentary goes through the videos and interviews people associated with the investigations, and it really is very convincing every now and then! Poughkeepsie Tapes isn't scary like Noroi is, but instead more disturbing and interesting in a very captivating way! I would recommend this to anyone who likes to shock themselves (like me) and who likes found footage-movies or mockumentaries!
Personal scare rate: ☠☠☠

The Conspiracy (2012)
The Conspiracy is yet another mockumentary + found footage film like the last two, but it's not necessarily a horror movie. More like a thriller, but a very atmospheric and exciting (in a scary way) one! The Conspiracy is a mockumentary about two young men researching a conspiracy theory and it follows the whole research process. The movie is quite slow-building and like I said, not that scary but still worth a watch! In my opinion, just the final "revelation" of the movie makes it worth to watch-- This is a good horror movie to people who can't handle gore or paranormal things, but still enjoy a good, exciting and scary movie!
Personal scare rate: 

Sinister (2012)
Sinister is one of the more well-known ones on this list. But even though it's a mainstream movie, it's not any less scary than the rest of the movies on this list, quite the contrary actually. I personally really loved this movie, but I couldn't fully enjoy it because the "big reveal" was spoiled to me accidentally.. But I know that if that wouldn't have happened I would have been like !!!!!!! Anyway, it's a really good and scary movie about a familyman who finds strange video tapes on the attic of his new house. I would recommend this to anyone who likes scary, quite modernly classic horror films!
Personal scare rate: 

V/H/S (2012)
VHS is yet another found footage horror movie and....it's not exactly good, but scary as hell! Just don't touch the newer VHS movies--  They suck so bad. But this first movie in this series is actually pretty damn scary and overall a bit better than okay, but not good. VHS consists of a few shorter found footage films, and the plot outside those....doesn't matter at all, it's just there to create a reason to watch those shorter films. Anyway, I recommend this movie to anyone who likes genuinely scary movies and enjoy versatility, like I do!
Personal scare rate: 

Creep (2014)
One day I was just browsing Netflix with my dad, looking for a horror movie to watch and ran into Creep. So we decided to watch it despite of the bad ratings, and it was very surprisingly good! The film follows a young, freelancer cameraman in need of money who accepts a job to film a man's video to his unborn child. But as you may already guess, things really don't go that smoothly! Creep is also filmed in a found footage style, and isn't necessarily scary, but instead suspenseful. It also doesn't rely in gore or paranormal happenings, but instead is very realistic and that's what makes it scary! This is also good for people who don't handle horror or gore well! But what I love about this movie most, is that I've never seen anything like it!
Personal scare rate: 

The Tunnel (2011)
The Tunnel is an Australian found footage indie film (yet again) that follows a film crew's investigation of an abandoned subway tunnel, and damn does the movie do a good job of making that scary! The Tunnel is extremely suspenseful and off'-putting, and all in all a very scary and well made movie! I don't really know what else to say, just watch it if you're into genuinely scary found footage films! My friends found this scarier than Noroi, but I personally think Noroi is scarier.
Personal scare rate: 

Insidious (2010)
Insidious, like Sinister, is a regular mainstream horror movie, but a very good one in my opinion! The first time I watched it I thought it was one of the scariest horror films I've seen, but nowadays it has just stayed as a personal favorite. And that's why I'm recommending it to you! Just don't watch the second part... Insidious tells about a family who start to experience strange paranormal happenings in their house, but it really gets more interesting than that! Insidious is also good for people who enjoy basic, but good and scary horror movies!
Personal scare rate: 

Unfriended (2015)
Unfriended is the newest addition to this list and was a huge positive surprise to me! The film is completely filmed as a screen capture and that's something that has never done before. I didn't have any expectations for the scare factor of this movie, but it was extremely suspenseful and exciting! And the whole plot of it and the way it is filmed brings Unfriended closer to us normal, young people who use social media, than any horror movie before! And that's what makes it scary! Basically a friend who killed herself for the bullying he received over a viral video that was posted of her online, returns to haunt his friends through their computers. Sounds pretty silly and basic, but Unfriended was actually very good! I would recommend it to anyone who just enjoys a good horror film and wants to see something completely different!
Personal scare rate: 

And that's all for now! I wanted to include some of my favorite classic horror films too, but probably everyone has seen them-- So I'll just mention them here if someone hasn't seen them: Please watch The Shining (1980) and Silence of the Lambs (1991)! Really, if you haven't seen them you're really missing on some damn good movies and I command you to watch them right away! (╬ಠ益ಠ) They're not classics for nothing!

See you again soon!

(I own none of the pictures above!)

1 kommentti:

  1. Kiitos leffasuosituksista. Mä rakastan kauhuleffoja ja lemppari on ehdottomasti Japanilainen versio kaunasta.

    VastaaPoista